Friday, February 4, 2011

The Start of a New Series

I have decided to do a series on Paris, focusing upon my impressions from this last trip. The weather was crisp and clear which meant sunshine, blue skies, and fascinating lighting.

Here is one of the photos that I am working from. It is from an old building on Prelle place des Victoires in the second arondissement.

I edited it in Photoshop a bit and then blew up a greyscale immage to use as a guide. From there I went through my stash for an array of fabrics and began trying out ideas.

One of my first challenges was the lantern. I wanted some borders between the panels, each about 1/4 inch but not rigid. Based in part on a suggestion from Pat Pauly's workshop, I cut strips about an inch wide and hemmed to one side of a cut out panel. I then trimmed to about a half inch and hemmed with a 1/4 inch seam to another panel.

Here is the finished lantern.

Will keep you posted as the project progresses.


  1. I love lampposts like this! Thank you for sharing your process. I look forward to watching this piece and your series progress.

  2. Thanks, Bee. It is a fun project for me. I am working in a larger format than usual.