Here is the little tool clamped to a table, with some silk mounted and wound with string. I doubled the silk around the tool as it was so delicate.
After tying off the string, I removed the silk and created a row of similar 'fingers' in the scarf.
I really liked the effect of the dyeing - the gradations from the wrapping suggested flowers to me - you can see that a little more clearly in this close-up.
I decided to keep this piece as is as a record for future experiments and then play with a second piece. This time I worked with logwood grey in painting during my wrapping stage. I didn't apply as much paint and the result was more diffuse. I painted over the first stage after I steamed it with some madder.
It sure is fun to play! I suspect I am going to explore working with this little tool quite a bit more!